Baby showers are a somewhat recent phenomenon. They became popular during the baby boom of the 40’s and 50’s. The tradition remains very popular today and occurs shortly before the baby is born. Every baby is entitled to a baby shower, even if he/she isn’t the couple’s first child. The party’s theme can be anything from a simple color scheme to a full-blown western. If you’ve been invited to a baby shower or asked to host one, there’s a lot you need to know. Keep reading for gift ideas and advice.
Attention single guys! Are you looking for a girlfriend or a casual fling? Do you have a hard time getting the hint when a girl is trying to tell you – without actually telling you, of course – that she’s interested? Girls can be confusing, but if you pay close attention to the way they act, you can usually figure out whether or not they are interested in you. Keep reading for a helpful guide to understanding how a girl shows she’s interested.
Have you ever seen a guy walk up to a girl and in less than 20 minutes she’s kissing him or leaving the bar with him? Chances are he just used fractionation, an “underground” seduction technique that is said to be the quickest and most intense form of seduction ever developed. Keep reading to learn more about this mysterious theory.
Have you ever met the perfect guy and then – surprise! – discovered he had one or more children? It might not be your intention to date a single dad, but this happens to many women – especially those who prefer to date older men. Whether you’re currently dating a single dad or have your sights on a guy with kids, keep reading for helpful advice that will make your relationship run smoothly and prepare you to face unforeseen problems.
Lots of guys out there dread starting up a conversation with a cute girl. They don’t know what to say and end up saying nothing; or worse, saying the wrong thing. Talking with girls is a social skill that every man needs to learn. If you’ve had trouble speaking with girls in the past or are have been too shy to approach them at all, keep reading for helpful tips that will have you on your way to your next date.
Housewarming parties serve three purposes: they are an excuse to show off a newly purchased house, a chance to acquire new things for the house, and a reason to throw a party with family and friends! Although it might not be clear in the invitation, the family or couple throwing the party will be expecting gifts. If you’ve been invited to a housewarming party, chances are you know enough about the homeowners to purchase a gift that they’ll like. If you’re stuck on what to buy, keep reading for advice and ideas.
Are you wondering how to attract women? Are you ready for a relationship but unable to interact with girls? Does picking up women terrify you? Is seducing women like a foreign language? Keep reading and you’ll be surprised to learn just how easy it is to get that beautiful woman to say yes to a date.
Whether you are planning for an upcoming birthday or the holiday season, buying gifts for children is always exciting. Perhaps because of the innocence of children, and seeing the sheer joy on their face, it can make anyone smile right along with them. But, as a parent, sometimes showering children with gifts can leave you a little concerned as to when you cross the line from loving a child to downright spoiling him. Depending on your parenting style, there are some who would say that you can never give your child too many gifts too.
Giving a child too many gifts can cause a number of different issues according to some parenting styles.
- Become accustomed to receiving gifts – Children who receive, receive, receive sometimes lose sight of the fact that as adults they may not have this same luxury. Oftentimes these children fail to develop good work habits and independence.
- Develop a lack of appreciation for what is received – When a child gets used to receiving gifts constantly, receiving loses its luster. They tend to think that appreciation is no longer necessary because they will continue to receive anyway.
- There is no longer a reward for good behavior – If gifts are constantly received, rewards for good behavior, grades, etc. are no longer meaningful. Some would argue that without a reward these children are more likely to act out, seeing as there is no motivation to behave.
- A greater likelihood of not taking care of what they have – A child that receives new gifts constantly tends to lose appreciation for what they have (as previously mentioned), and a lack of appreciation often causes children to become frivolous with what they have. They are more likely to throw around these toys, break them and lose them as they assume they will just get more.
These issues are just a few of the reasons why some parents choose not to shower their children with gifts and to avoid the problem of a spoiled child.
Contrary to the aforementioned style of parenting, there are some who believe the opposite and that the more gifts that you give a child the better. Typically these parents don’t believe that gifts spoil a child and they want to make their child happy through all means possible. Many people give gifts for the sheer pleasure of making a child smile and being able to give their child something that perhaps they didn’t have when they were young.
While many parents want to show their child their love and make them happy with even small gifts, one thing is for certain, even small gifts constantly throughout the year can take a little bit away from the fun of a holiday or birthday gift. These holidays and celebrations are something that children typically look forward to because they are fun and do often come with gifts, but if they got some gifts the week prior to the holiday, where’s the excitement? Gift giving can certainly take some of the sparkle and magic away from holiday enjoyment. Whether or not it creates a spoiled child remains controversial.
Sometimes, when you are in a new relationship and a holiday is approaching, you might find yourself having the age old internal conflict – do I get him/her a gift or not? You are certainly not the only one to ever wonder this, or to find yourself asking how much gifts actually matter in a relationship. But, the answer to this question isn’t one that can be answered with a simple yes or no.
There are a lot of factors that go into it, not to mention the answer is sure to vary from person to person. Before you consider purchasing any type of gift for the person that you are with, ask yourself some of the following questions?
- How long have you been dating this person? – Let’s not beat around the bush! When you are just starting out in a relationship most couples use gift buying as another means to win over the affection of the person that they are with. However, sometimes as relationships progresses and you become more like ‘an old married couple’ gifts tend to take a backseat to real life. You might even find yourselves deciding to forgo gifts one year so that you can save money, or simply because you don’t have time. If you have been in a relationship long enough, having this conversation together shouldn’t be a problem.
- Are you secure in the relationship you both have? – Before you consider purchasing a gift, you need to be sure that you are officially in a relationship where gift giving is appropriate. Sometimes if you have not left the ‘friend stage’ with someone, giving a gift can make it feel as though you are pushing the relationship too much for some people.
- Do you think that he/she is going to give you a gift? – Nothing is more awkward then getting a gift from someone when you have not purchased something for them in return. If the person that you are dating asks you what you want for an upcoming holiday, take the hint that they think gifts matter and get just a small one.
- Are material items important to this person? – If you are lucky enough to be dating a ‘gem’ who is very materialistic, they are certain to put more of an emphasis on receiving a gift.
- Is there an alternative to a gift that this person might appreciate even more? – You might find that you are dating someone who appreciates your time rather than any type of gift you can give them. If you are so lucky, then you don’t necessarily have to worry about any type of particular gift, but maybe plan an evening watching a movie together or taking a walk in the evening.
The truth is, we all would like to think that gifts aren’t important to a thriving, successful relationship, but it is nice sometimes to have someone do something nice for you, whether or not that gift costs money is up to the giver. Don’t underestimate the power of a simple conversation with your partner about gifts in general. You might find that the person you are with doesn’t believe in gift giving, which could potentially make or break a new relationship.
Have you ever purchased cheap jewelry for your baby or your child? Do you know that these jewelry may contain toxic metals like cadmium or lead? Babies and toddlers like to taste everything and anything and oftentimes we find pendents lockets and other jewelry in their mouths, and sometimes they even get accidentally swallowed. In 2006 a boy from Minneapolis swallowed a locket broken off from a bracelet. He eventually died of lead poisoning. So, if you want to buy jewelry for your kid, make sure you buy real jewelry and not cheap knockoffs that can harm your child.
Children love receiving toys as gifts during their birthday and festive occasions like Christmas. However, do you know that certain toys may be a health hazard for children? For example, certain types of colored chalk have been found to contain mercury, and necklaces for girls have been found to contain cadmium. So, when you are shopping for gifts for children, make sure you check the country origin and so a quick online search for the brand of the toy before purchasing. You may think that toys and gifts for older kids should be safer as they would be less likely to put the toy in their mouth? Not exactly. For example, when when shopping for gifts for 7 to 12 year old boys, a certain type of friendship band has become quite popular recently. It is quite certain that the child will like the gift, but do watch out for arsenic, a substance that has been linked to blood disorders.
The other major threat to children actually happens in the home. Every year, many toddlers and babies get seriously injured when they fall of stairs, or when they slip into dangerous parts of the house like the swimming pool or the kitchen, where they may get seriously hurt by boiling water and other hazards. In fact household accidents account for the largest number of accidents every year in America for kids and toddlers under the age of seven, more than any other type of accident. This underscores the importance of childproofing your house to ensure the safety of your babies and toddlers.
One important safety precaution you can take is to install retractable baby gates. These are security gates that serve as barriers to hallways, doorways, stairways, and other potential areas hazardous to babies and young children. A retractable gate is convenient because it can be easily taken out and installed in other areas giving you greater flexibility.
Of course, even with all the childproofing measures taken, you still need to keep vigilant and be aware of your child’s movement. No amount of external safety precaution can replace the vigilance and care of parents.