Ladies, have you ever started a conversation with a man you’re interested in only to wonder a few minutes later if he’s flirting with you or not? Have you ever wondered if one of your guy “friends” sees you as more than just a friend? Although men are much less complex than women, they can still be hard to read when it comes to attraction – especially if the guy in question is shy. Keep reading for tips on how to decode a man’s behavior and how to detect flirting and attraction.
For More Articles In Our Dating Guides For Women Series, Check Out The Slider Below:
Body language can be a dead giveaway when one person is attracted to another. Pay attention to his body language when he’s close to you. There are many things men and women do with their bodies that they aren’t aware of or can’t control, like blushing. Click here to learn how you can use your own body language to your advantage.
The following list includes many things a guy may unconsciously do while speaking with you that will give away his thoughts.
- A big smile – if he’s smiling more than normal, it might mean he’s into you.
- Blushing – this occurs most often with shy guys, who are hard to flirt with. A blush is something he can’t control and is a big giveaway that he’s interested!
- Mirroring – pay attention to the way he speaks and how he stands. Is he copying you? If so, he’s unconsciously mirroring something he likes (that something is you!).
- The way he stands – a man will stand with his hands on his hips or with his thumbs hooked into his belt loops when he’s unconsciously trying to look masculine in front of a female.
- Physical contact – a man interested in you will “accidentally” touch you or bump into you. If he uses any excuse to touch you, he’s totally flirting.
- Head angle – Tilting his head towards you while you speak means he is genuinely interested in you and what you’re saying.
- Eye contact – making lots of eye contact means he’s into you. Looking into your eyes then looking away probably means he’s interested but shy.
- Dilated pupils – this is something he can’t control. A person’s eyes will dilate when attracted to something (and contract when not attracted).
- Raised eyebrows – a sure sign he’s flirting.
- Fidgeting – if he’s nervous around a girl he likes, a man will often move his hands a lot or shift his stance (you might do this too).
- Events – if he tells you about a concert or event he really wants to attend, he’s hoping you’ll ask to come along.
There are things men may do even when not engaged in conversation with a woman that betray their feelings. When you’re in the same room, pay close attention to his behavior. If he’s staring at you when he thinks you aren’t looking, he’s definitely interested – at least in how you look. If he’s shy, he might give you little glances instead of staring. If he tries to be near you as you move about the room or just “pops up” next to you often, it means he wants to be close to you.
When he’s talking with someone near you, does he stand close to you – maybe a little too close? Test him by taking a step towards him. If he backs away suddenly, he’s not interested. If he doesn’t back off or if he steps even closer, he definitely likes you.
Oddly enough, a man’s feet can give away attraction. Men sometimes point their toes, feet, or legs towards someone they like. The way he stands when you’re near can also clue you in to his intentions. If he leans towards you when you begin to speak and doesn’t ever turn his back to you, that’s a good sign he’s interested.
Here’s another test: say his name to get his attention and look closely at how he responds. If he suddenly stands straighter and pushes his chest out a bit, he’s trying to impress you. Doe he check himself to make sure his shirt is clean or does he nervously smooth his hair? If so, he’s hoping he looks good enough to attract you.
Need Gift Ideas For That Special Him In Your Life? Check Out Our Gift Guide:
Men act completely different around their friends than around a girl they like. For example, a guy might burst into laughter when you tell a joke – even if it was a bad joke. Other strange behaviors include:
- Some guys tend to be overly awkward when speaking with girls they find attractive.
- From arm wrestling to sports, males like to show off in front of females they like.
- Even if you’re not dating, a guy interested in you may act protective towards you without meaning to. This could be anything from lending you a coat to protecting you from a crowd with his body.
If he treats you markedly different than he treats other girls, rest assured he has feelings for you.
More than Friends?
Are you interested in discovering if a guy in your group of friends likes you? When you’re all hanging out together, pay attention to his friends. If they tease him while you’re around, they might be onto the fact that he likes you. Talk with his friends and subtly pay attention to his reaction. Does he seems jealous or annoyed? If he really likes you, he certainly won’t want you showing interest in his friends. Conversely, if he approaches your friends yet continues to glance at you – especially if he is flirting with one of them – he’s probably trying to make you jealous. Click here to learn what your flirting style says about you.
When you and your friends are about to go home for the night, does he linger to try and catch a few moments alone with you? Even if it’s just a minute of hesitation, it might have meant he was debating whether or not to ask for your number!
If you have to leave a party or gathering early, look at his eyes as you walk out the door. If he tries to make eye contact with you right before you leave, it’s a dead giveaway he wants to come with you.
If your friends are out and about and you weren’t able to come along, a surefire sign he’s into you is if he texts you anyway to “say hi” or check on you. If he’s hanging out with just his guy friends and still texts you, it’s an even bigger giveaway.
With the above advice, it should be easy to detect your crush’s feelings next time you’re near him or speaking with him. Just remember that guys get nervous too and the reason he hasn’t asked you out yet might be as simple as the fear of rejection! Guys, click here to find out what signs betray a girl’s feelings.