Most of us will experience changes in our hair during our lives. Some of us will experience a change in color; others will experience brittleness, a decrease in shine, or hair loss.
Hair loss problems like thinning hair, shedding, and male pattern baldness can be upsetting, embarrassing, and emasculating. Hair loss can be a devastating blow to one’s self esteem.
Reasons for hair loss include genetics, nutritional deficiencies, stress, hormonal imbalance, and the use of heating tools and chemical products.
Keep reading to learn more about natural hair growth remedies you can do at home to restore stronger, healthier hair. The following remedies are appropriate for men and women.
Hair Growth Home Remedies
Did you know that massaging the scalp can promote hair growth?
Inadequate circulation is one of the main reasons behind hair loss in men. Massage can improve circulation and stimulate new hair growth.
To grow hair faster in a month, try daily scalp massage.
Using a circular motion, gently massage your scalp with your fingertips for 5 minutes each day. This kneading motion will help to open blood vessels and increase blood flow to the scalp – providing the area with more oxygen, which is essential for healthy hair.
Click here to learn about common mistakes women make that can lead to hair loss.
Warm Oil Treatment
For the following treatment, you can use a variety of pure oils such as coconut, sweet almond, avocado, jojoba, or olive.
Use a microwave or double boiler to heat the oil. This step is important – the heat will help the oil penetrate the hair shaft.
Warm oil treatments are ideal for men and women who struggle with dandruff and dry hair; this treatment will encourage new growth and restore luster and manageability.
- Put 3-6 tablespoons of oil into a microwave-safe bowl
- If you want a scented treatment, add a few drops of your favorite essential oil (we suggest lavender, rosemary, mint, or rose).
- Set the microwave on high for 10 seconds.
- Before you start:
- To avoid damaging your clothing, apply the mixture in the shower or place a towel around your shoulders.
- Make sure your hair is free of tangles.
- Ensure the oil isn’t too hot.
- Lean over a sink and pour the oil slowly over your scalp.
- Using the massage technique described above, gently massage the oil into your skin.
- Using your fingers, apply oil to the entire length of your hair.
- Work the oil into your hair for 1-2 minutes.
- Leave the mixture in your hair for half an hour (wear a towel or shower cap to keep it from dripping into your face).
- Wash and condition your hair as normal.
- Allow your hair to air-dry.
- Repeat the warm oil treatment once or twice per week.
Hair Tip: Rosemary is one of the best essential oils you can use on your hair. Rosemary helps unclog blocked hair follicles by increasing circulation. Its antioxidant properties promote growth. The herb also helps fight dandruff and strengthen roots. The silica and sulfur content helps to reverse hair loss.
Egg Wash – Intense Protein Treatment
Eggs are made of 70% keratin protein, which can help boost growth and rebuild damaged hair. The following wash will help you maintain strong hair, which is key in boosting growth:
- Mix one egg in a bowl with 1 tbsp. olive oil (will need to double or triple the mixture for longer hair).
- Put plastic wrap over the bowl to keep the mixture from drying out.
- Wash your hair to remove dirt, natural oils, and buildup from hair products.
- Towel dry your hair.
- Apply the egg mixture to damp hair. Make sure the entire length of hair is saturated.
- Put on a shower cap and let sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash and condition hair as normal.
Antioxidants are the body’s primary defense against free radicals, which can cause the premature death of the scalp’s skin cells. Use the following antioxidant-rich foods in hair washes to boost growth: avocados, bananas, lemon juice, orange juice, and honey.
Nutritional deficiencies can cause hair loss, and changing your diet can help.
Reducing your red meat intake has been shown to slow hair loss (this is especially pertinent to men), but getting enough protein is important. For your healthiest hair, make sure your diet includes whole grains, beans, fish, nuts, and meat.
Biotin is an intestinal bacterium that promotes healthy nails and hair; it is the most important nutrient when it comes to preventing hair loss.
A biotin deficiency can lead to dandruff, dry scalp, and brittle hair.
A few foods that contain biotin:
- Brown rice
- Nuts and legumes, especially almonds
- Whole grains
- Oily fish like tuna and salmon
- Cheese and yogurt
Hypothyroidism can also contribute to hair loss. Make sure to maintain good thyroid health.
How to grow hair faster in a week
Whether you’re regretting that new haircut or preparing for an event, there are many reasons you might want to give your hair an immediate boost.
To see immediate results, we recommend combining a few of the above methods. Use daily scalp massage combined with a one-time warm oil treatment with rosemary oil.
Avoid heating tools like blow dryers and straighteners. Don’t shampoo your hair every day; 2-3 times per week is enough. At the end of a shower, rinse your hair with cool water. Don’t wrap wet hair in a towel.
If you have split ends, get them trimmed.
Brush your hair once per day (especially before bedtime) to increase circulation to the area. Make sure you’re eating foods that promote hair growth. And I would personally recommend taking biotin in pill form.
The inversion method:
This easy method has been shown to improve hair growth in just one week. Start by lying on your back on a bed. Allow your head to hang off the edge of the bed.
This “inverted” position sends more blood to the scalp, which encourages hair growth. Remain in the “inverted” position for 4-5 minutes daily.
Make sure to come out of the position slowly to minimize dizziness. Combine this method with massage for maximum results.
Hair Tip: Measure your hair at the beginning and end of the week to track progress.
Click here to learn more about hair loss shampoos.